Friday 6 September 2013

Back to The North

Apologies for my lengthy absence from the Blogosphere - between working as much as possible before uni starts again and dealing with various issues regarding my flat, I've hardly had any spare time to put real thought into a post, and didn't have much to write about!

However; about a week ago I took my first holiday of the Summer and went to visit family in Manchester. It's one of my favourite cities, mainly because of the constant creative buzz that seems to permeate the streets - especially in the Northern Quarter. People in Manchester just seem a little less reserved and more fearless than in Edinburgh...

This time around (see my last post about Manchester here) I took Adam with me and we went to explore all the nooks and crannies of the city that I hadn't had the chance to before. It was his first time travelling to that area of England so I hoped to give a good impression!

The first place we wanted to check out was the massive Indie emporium Afflecks - I'd been in before, unknowing of the sprawling treasure trove that lay above the first floor, and so hadn't explored it fully.

























The walls were filled with amazingly creative original artwork, which I couldn't resist snapping away at!

We also came across an amazing little shop that sold tons of old video games - which if you're a bit nerdy like me was really, really cool.





























I didn't end up buying anything as it felt like you really had to rake through the stock to find the hidden gems, and ours was more of a whirlwind tour.


Another great find was a little cafe called Fig and Sparrow (pictured above). The interior decor was delectably sweet, and the food was cheap, fresh and simple. The staff were lovely too!
























Similarly artistic interiors were to be found at Nexus (above) - an art cafe just off Oldham Road.

Further evidence of the creativity of the city reveals itself in the street art found on every corner.



Finally - I thought I'd finish with a list of little places which I would really recommend visiting if you're ever in town!

Manchester Art Gallery - massive selection of modern and contemporary art as well as the usual.
Selfridges (obviously).

I'll be posting an OOTD featuring the items I bought while in Manchester as soon as possible, including my first ever purchases from Cos!

Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment