Tuesday 6 August 2013

OOTD - Looking Backwards

It's that time of year again at work (Topshop) that we get to choose our uniform from the A/W collections that have just been brought into store. The trends are actually really great this year - you can check out the looklooks here. My favourite trend overall is 90's Antwerp; the minimalist yet artistic and bold approach to colour and pattern really appeals to me. However, when I came across this dress which is part of the Dark Craft trend, I had to have it!



The shape is so flattering and reminds me of 60's style shift dresses - slick, clean, well-cut and flattering. The asymmetric hemline adds a modern twist as does the monochromatic baroque print with bursts of mustard.



Today I wore it with no accessories whatsoever, and with my black Dune Chelsea boots, as I think it's a dress which really speaks for itself and needs no embellishment.




























My new 60's style dress got me thinking about how modern fashion is constantly looking back in time for inspiration; something which I've always enjoyed doing. My mum had amazing style when she was around my age, in the 70's and 80's. I think women dressed with a certain elegance and poise in previous years which has been somewhat lost in recent times. I unearthed a few old photos that showcase both of my parents' style in their youth, and the fact that styles really do repeat themselves...

My mum is on the right here, looking like some kind of silent movie superstar *jealous*.

























Working the androgynous look which has resurfaced recently.



























My Dad and Mum in all white, which has again become a 'thing'.



























Rolled-up and high-waisted jeans.
























Midi skirt and clutch.























High-waisted shorts and printed denim.























Finally, this is my Mum with her sister, Cathy, on the left. Does my mother not look irritatingly like a certain Miss Delevingne?























Emily x 

No comments:

Post a Comment