Wednesday 19 June 2013

Topshop Reclaim to Wear

While scrolling through the Elle website today (I'm ill AGAIN so had to take a day off work *sigh*) I came across an article detailing the launch of Topshop's second collaboration with the organisation Reclaim to Wear. I'd never heard of this concept, nor the brain behind it; the eco-fashion label From Somewhere, run by Orsola de Castro and Filippo Ricci. As a faithful second-hand shopper as well as a lover of high-street stores I was pretty excited to find a collection which combined the two. I love the idea of using surplus materials to fashion unique and interesting pieces, and in fact I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up by more brands.

I did a little digging and found details of last year's collab between Topshop and Reclaim to Wear, my favourites being the minimalist, block-coloured t-shirt and sculptural layered dress;




















Had I known about this collection and in particular this dress last year, I definitely would have bought it! I love the whole design; the muted colours work together perfectly with the unusual shape and layering, it's pretty much my perfect dress.

The first glimpse of year's collection given by Elle, however, could not be more different; the collection is described as including 'elegant camisoles, oversized shirts and double-vented pencil skirts, all in colourful floral printed silks'. Here's a preview of one of the pieces;

























Now; I'm all for summery, ditzy florals and boho styling, but to be honest I wasn't overly enthralled by the design of this dress. It feels to me like a massive step backwards in moving away from the 'hippy-dippy' stigma attached to eco-brands and collaborations. Upon first glance the floral pattern looks washed out and muted, and the design really isn't anything particularly innovative or unique. However - some of the other pieces described do sound lovely, and so I will be waiting with bated breath for their release on Topshop.com tomorrow!

I'd love to hear your views on the idea of up-cycling, and on the new collection.

Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment